HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLESMOTOCROSS 2017
Husqvarna’s strong, light and easily controllable line-up of six premium motocross bikes all offer the perfect combination of powerful engines, clean Swedish inspired design and state-of-the-art technology. Ensuring machinery that supports riders in all situations, their easily controllable nature and high-tech components deliver one of the most sophisticated motocross line ups on the market today.
What’s New In Model Year 2017
- All New TC 250
- Front forks WP AER 48
- CNC Upper Triple Clamp
- Handlebar support
- Traction Control on the 4-stroke engines
- Map switch on the 4-stroke models
- Bodywork with new Colour Trim and Graphics
- Dunlop MX-3S Tyres
- Rear tyre FC 250 (110 instead of 100)
- Cylinder head mountings on the 4-stroke models (made of aluminium instead of steel)
- Rear brake lever (10 mm longer)
- Rear brake pads (different material)
- 38 mm Mikuni TMX carburettor on the TC 125 (previously Keihin)
*the above listed news are valid for all models – where not differently specified – except TC 85
New WP AER 48 front forks
The WP AER 48 front forks are a new milestone in the development of Husqvarna’s motocross models. The 48 mm split air fork features a capsuled air spring and pressurized oil chamber for progressive and consistent damping. By using a capsuled air spring, the fork retains its spring function even in the unlikely event of a pressure leakage. The new forks are safe, lightweight, and easy to adjust through a single air valve and supplied fork pump for pre-load and click adjusters (30 clicks each) for compression and rebound. The system is made up of a set of split-system forks consisting of an air suspension unit and a hydraulic damping unit which benefit from the best in air spring and hydraulic damping characteristics. The new forks offer a weight reduction of 1.66 kg in comparison to conventional fork systems of MY16. The forks are extremely responsive thanks to friction-optimised surface coating on the outer and inner tube surfaces and optimally designed sealing systems. Additionally the wheel travel is increased from 300 mm to 310 mm.
- Capsuled air spring and pressurized oil chamber → progressive and consistent damping
- Easy adjustment → simple clicker adjustment and supplied air pump
- Outer fork tubes → friction optimised coating
- Reduction in weight → 1.66 kg
CNC machined triple clamps
The 22 mm offset black-anodised CNC machined triple clamps feature an integrated rubber damping system that reduces vibrations and increases rider comfort. The triple clamps have been expertly crafted using superior techniques and materials to provide premium quality and reliability while a new upper triple clamp has been redesigned to compliment the new WP AER 48 forks. A 3-way handlebar adjustment is standard and allows for customisable ergonomics.
- Rubber damping on top clamp → reduced vibrations, increased comfort
- CNC aluminium → finest quality and reliability
- Adjustable handlebar position → adjustable ergonomics
New Bar Clamps
The ProTaper handlebar is second to none for function and style. Manufactured to exacting standards, the handlebar features class-leading fatigue resistance while adding minimal weight. For MY17, the lower handlebar clamp has been separated while the top clamp is a bridge-type clamp improving torsional stiffness. The ProTaper logos are chemically applied and are scratch and peel resistant. The large Husqvarna bar pad has optimal impact resistance, while the standard handguards offer maximum roost protection.
- ProTaper handlebar → class-leading function and style
- Oversized bar pad and standard handguards → optimal protection
- New bar clamps → improved torsional stiffness
Map switch, launch control
The MY17 motocross range features a new handlebar map switch on all 4-strokes. Optimised for easy operation, apart from changing between 2 different engine maps, the map switch also activates launch control. With the engine at idle, launch control is engaged by switching once between the selected map and the alternative map, and then back again. When the fuel injection LED flashes, launch control is engaged. This function limits the amount of power to the rear wheel, improving traction and preventing loss of control under hard acceleration.
- Standard handlebar map switch → alter engine characteristics according to conditions and rider preference
- Launch control → maximum traction for perfect starts
The new map switch also operates a traction control feature completely new for MY17. This can be selected to an on or off position from the switch and functions by analysing throttle input from the rider and the rate at which RPM increases in the engine. If the RPM increases too quickly, the EMS will register a loss of grip and reduce the amount of power to the rear wheel ensuring maximum traction. This can be a distinct advantage in wet or muddy conditions.
- New traction control feature → optimal traction in all conditions
Dunlop MX3S Motocross tyres that feature the proven “block-within-a-block” design for more progressive cornering and superior grip are fitted as standard. Additionally the FC 250 will now feature a wider 110/90-19 rear tyre as opposed to the 100/90-19 from MY16.
- Developed in top-level AMA Supercross and Motocross → enhanced handling, cornering and steering feel
Modern and functional bodywork in white with traditional Husqvarna blue and yellow accents marks a simplistic yet stylish Swedish design. The ergonomics have been specifically tailored to deliver greater control and comfort, enabling riders to perform at the highest level for extended periods of time. The seat has a low-profile and a high-grip cover for superior comfort and control in all conditions.
- Bodywork → distinctive looks, modern colours and graphics
- Ergonomics → confidence-inspiring riding position in all riding situations
- Seat → greater comfort and superior control
Class-leading Brembo callipers and controls with high quality GSK discs deliver superior stopping power instilling confidence in any condition. 260mm disc front and 220mm rear. New for MY17 is a rear brake lever which is 10mm longer as well as new rear brake pads that are less aggressive and provide better modulation.
- Brembo brake callipers and high performance GSK discs → superior stopping power with greater control and confidence
- New rear brake lever and pads → improved modulation
WEIGHT REDUCTION ON CHASSIS
|Fork( 48AER 1,4 kg + new outer tubes 265 gr)||-1665 g
|Engine Stays Aluminium (only 4stroke)||-114 g|
|Total weight saving||1779 g|
Overall weight difference Model Year 2017 vs 2016
|Model||MY17 weight (without fuel)||MY16 weight (without fuel)|
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
The hydro-formed, laser-cut and robot-welded frame is expertly crafted by WP Performance Systems and has been specifically designed with calculated parameters of longitudinal and torsional flex. New aluminium engine mountings (instead of steel) on all 4-stroke models benefit suspension functionality and feeling while retaining a light, compact and strong package. The frame is finished off with a premium white powder coating and frame protectors as standard guaranteeing supreme protection and durability.
- Longitudinal and torsional stiffness → superior handling and feeling
- New engine mountings 4-stroke → improved suspension function
- Produced by WP Performance Systems → guarantee of high quality standards
- Durable finish with standard frame protectors
Composite carbon fibre subframe
The composite subframe is a design unique to Husqvarna showcasing pioneering technologies and innovation. This 3 piece component is made up of 30% carbon fibre making it remarkably light (1.4 kg) and also particularly strong. Specific care has been taken to create specific levels of rigidity for optimal handling and rider ergonomics.
- 3-piece subframe → composite materials
- Carbon fibre construction → 1.4 kg overall weight
- Specific rigidity → benefits handling and ergonomics
The hollow, cast aluminium swingarm has been designed to offer optimal stiffness and reliability at the least possible weight. The machining on the side by Husqvarna Motorcycles’ engineers is a further mark of quality, showcasing in depth attention to detail and superior craftsmanship.
- Optimal stiffness and reliability in a lightweight construction
WP rear shock
The WP DCC rear shock is designed to provide advanced damping characteristics while conforming to a compact and lightweight design. With a pressure balance inside the shock, optimal damping is guaranteed resulting in greater rider comfort and handling while the outer contour of the reservoir increases cooling. The component is also fully adjustable and matched to a linkage system with a specific geometry to deliver the best possible traction and progression with a rear wheel travel of 300 mm.
- Lightweight and compact → conforming to the lightweight and compact design of the motorcycle
- Pressure balance → consistent damping
- Linkage system → specific geometry for best results, 300 mm wheel travel
The Husqvarna frame features an innovative, self-cleaning footpeg mount, which prevents the build-up of dirt collected through deep ruts or muddy terrain. As a result, the footpeg will spring back into its original position even in the toughest conditions. For riders who prefer a higher footpeg set-up, the MY17 enduro footpegs can be fitted raising the position by 6 mm.
- Footpeg mount → prevents mud and dirt build-up allowing footpeg to spring back into position
- Large footpegs → perfect grip and control.
Magura hydraulic clutch
The reliable, high quality, German-made clutch system guarantees even wear, near maintenance-free operation and perfect action in every condition. Meaning that play is constantly compensated so that the pressure point and function of the clutch remain identical in cold or hot conditions, as well as over time.
- Magura hydraulic clutch → perfect modulation in every condition
- High quality German craftsmanship → very reliable, consistent clutch action
Grips and throttle assembly
The left side ODI lock-on grip does not require gluing, while on the right the vulcanised grip features an innovative integrated throttle mechanism. The assembly has easy free-play adjustment and, by changing a cam, throttle progression can be altered.
- Throttle assembly and ODI grips → easily alter throttle progression; easy grip mounting without glue
Engine management system (EMS)
The Keihin EMS is specifically designed to be small, light and fast at processing data. It integrates launch control for perfect starts, selectable engine maps via the switch on the handlebar as well as traction control. Combined with the new gear sensor, power delivery is tailored for each gear.
- Keihin EMS → compact, light and fast at processing engine data for more efficient engine management
- Gear sensor → specific engine maps for each gear
44 mm throttle body
The MY17 features the same 44 mm Keihin throttle body as MY16. The injector has been positioned in order to ensure the most efficient flow into the combustion chamber. The throttle cable is mounted directly without a throttle linkage providing more immediate throttle response and feeling.
- Throttle body → 44 mm, injector positioned for optimal flow, more immediate throttle response thanks to direct cable mounting
The exhaust systems have been expertly designed to deliver the best possible performance while adhering to FIM noise limits. The header pipes feature resonance chambers that improve performance, and on the 450 SOHC engine, the resonance chamber is integrated into the header pipe and resembles a 2-stroke expansion chamber. The silencers are crafted from lightweight and strong aluminium in an effort to reduce weight and benefit mass centralisation resulting in sharper, more effective handling. The TC 125 and TC 250 exhaust systems have also been specifically designed to match exact engine characteristics while keeping weight to a minimum.
- Exhausts → mass-centralisation, light-weight, optimal performance
Electric start and new Li-Ion battery
All 4-strokes come standard with electric starters. Along with the benefit of easy starting the system is combined with a compact Li-Ion battery, which is 1 kg lighter than a conventional battery. The wiring harness has been purposefully designed so that the rear subframe can be removed without having to remove any wiring.
- Electric starter → easy starting when time is critical
- Li-Ion battery → lightweight, 1 kg lighter than a conventional battery
- Battery and wiring harness position → easy removal of subframe
Integrated cooling system and radiators
The radiators have been expertly crafted by WP Performance Systems using high strength aluminium. CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) has been utilised to channel air through the radiators more efficiently and provide optimal cooling in any condition. The system is integrated into the frame allowing for better cooling by channelling coolant through the frame while eliminating the need for additional hoses. Additionally, the radiator protectors do not only protect against flying debris but also act as a brace channelling any energy from an impact around the radiator and into the frame.
- Integrated cooling → maximum efficiency in minimum space
- WP radiators → stronger and more efficient for optimal cooling
- Radiator protectors → protection from debris and falls
The 7 litre polythene fuel tanks incorporate a threaded filler cap and an integrated fuel pump on the 4-strokes.
- 7 litre polythene fuel tanks → large capacity for extended running times
Airbox and tool-less air filter access
The airbox has been designed with inlet ducts positioned precisely to prevent air deformation ensuring maximum airflow and maximum filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Easy maintenance is guaranteed by the Twin Air filter and filter cage design that features a simple fail proof mounting system for safe and accurate filter installation.
- Airbox → maximum air flow and filter protection
- Filter mounting system → safe and accurate protection against dirt
- Tool-less filter access → easy and fast maintenance
Black high-strength alloy rims by DID are coupled to CNC machined hubs using lightweight spokes and silver anodised aluminium nipples.
Lightweight but strong and reliable construction → minimum unsprung weight